Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I got published!

My first post on this blog was complaining about the current state of the icon demo app from the Java tutorial page. I even wrote some replacement code. It received a lot more attention then I ever thought was possible. I got some great comments, Mikael Grev (of MiG Layout fame), blogged about it on javalobby and finally I was contacted by Sharon Zakhour of Sun. She asked if they could include my code in the tutorial. I was very happy to say yes. I revised my code a little more, helped rewrite some of the page and submitted my code and documentation to Sharon. It went through an engineering review. There was some discussion about my usage of Image.getScaledInstance() and a tweak was added to use the resizing strategy put forth in The Perils of Image.getScaledInstance(). All in all it was an enjoyable experience. And now my code has actually been pushed to the web. It's now officially part of the How to Use Icons section of the Java tutorial.

Would I do it again? Yes, absolutely. Everyone at sun was great.

No comments: